Thursday, March 1, 2012

"On the number of sins beyond which God pardons no more" (Part 2)



"Sinners in Hell," Cathedral of the Assumption, Torcello, Italy. (12th Century)


The following is taken from a sermon for the First Sunday of Lent by St. Alphonsus Liguori, Doctor of the Church:

  
"Son, add not sins to those which you have already committed, but be careful to pray for the pardon of your past transgressions; otherwise, if you commit another mortal sin, the gates of the divine mercy may be closed against you, and your soul may be lost for ever.  When, then, beloved brethren, the Devil tempts you again to yield to sin, say to yourself: If God pardons me no more, what shall become of me for all eternity?  Should the Devil, in reply, say: Fear not, God is merciful; answer him by saying: What certainty or what probability have I, that, if I return again to sin, God will show me mercy or grant me pardon?  Behold the threat of the Lord against all who despise his calls: "Because I have called and you refused, .....I also will laugh in your destruction, and will mock when that shall come to you which you feared" Prov,. i, 24, 26.

St. Alphonsus Liguori, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment