Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June is the month of the Sacred Heart

"Sacred Heart,"  Georges Rouault


For centuries, the Church has devoted the month of June to the Sacred Heart.  St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, the visionary and great apostle of devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus (see Catholic Encyclopedia article here), composed many prayers to the Sacred Heart.  The following is taken from a prayer of St. Margaret Mary's called "Prayer to Our Lord in His Character of King in the Blessed Sacrament":

"Come, O my sovereign King, break my bonds, deliver me from this wretched slavery and establish Thy empire over my heart.   I wish to reign in Thine by ardent charity towards my neighbor, speaking of him only with charity, bearing with him, excusing him, doing to him only what I would wish to be done unto me, never sullying my heart or my tongue by any slander or resentment; and I will not allow anything to trouble me in order that my King may find in me an empire of peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment